Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Last Half of 2014

Well it's been months since I've updated anything on here.  I'm sitting here at the start of a new year wondering where the last one went.  Life has been so busy and crazy and fun.  The boys are getting so big!  They are keeping us on our toes for sure.  We were terrible at taking pictures this fall, everything just went by so fast.  Here are a few of the updates/highlights since the last time I posted.  Grab a snack and drink, it's a long one.

We ended summer with a huge Labor Day Weekend again this year.  We did the carnival, the rodeo, I did the Farmer's Market, Sawyer did the Mutton Bustin, we went the Fireman's Pancake breakfast and then the parade.  We even had Grandpa O. come up and join in the fun.  Sawyer did ok at the Mutton Bustin, I was just proud of him for being brave and doing it.  He got out of the shoot and rolled off the sheep.  The sheep then went and stepped on him!  I was across the arena because I had made a mad dash from the Farmer's Market (I left my booth!) and didn't have time to get all the way across to check on him.  Luckily it wasn't too bad and after a little time he felt pretty cool about the whole thing.  

The boys had so much fun at the carnival, Garrett wanted the rides to go faster of course.  
Sawyer wasn't a big fan of all the little kid rides but he humored me for a few and rode with his brother.  I went on a spinning one with him and told him I was done.  We learned a hard lesson in carnival games this year and did not win a fish.  It was a hard blow for Sawyer but he handled it pretty well.
I always think it's a tough deal to have to go to school right after Labor Day weekend.  Sawyer was excited to start 1st grade.  He has a great teacher and loves school.  
 Garrett is still in preschool.  He wasn't as excited for school to start but he loves seeing all his friends.  Garrett has the attention span of a fly so sitting to do school work is not his favorite.

 Sawyer didn't even care that Kyle and I were there the first day, he sat right down at his desk and got to work.  He was pretty impressed that he had an actual desk that opened up, last year they just had tables.  I've been going in on some Fridays and helping with reading.  The kids are so much fun at this age!
This one is out of order, sorry.  Sawyer did the punt pass and kick competition.  He got second place!  Sure proud of this kid.  He could play football all day everyday and pretty much does.  There are very few moments at home where he doesn't have a football in his hand.  
 This is Kyle's HUGE accomplishment around the house this fall.  He replaced our whole back fence!  We upcycled corrugated metal and hog panels.  I love it!
 Our garden did so so this year.  Somethings grew great, like the kale and carrots, but others like the beans and tomatoes didn't do so hot.  I loved the kale.  A friend and I canned the beets and they are so good.  I've threatened to grow a whole garden of just beets and kale next year, not sure Kyle will agree to that plan :)
 I love our garden carrots!
 We traveled to Hyde Park Street Fair in September.  I love going to this, the whole family is there and it's such a fun (and super exhausting) trip.  Aimee and I shared a booth again.
 I think our stuff looked so cute all mixed together.  The kids were a little disappointed we were in a different spot this year and there wasn't much room for them to run around.  I think we all survived ok.
 The kids hiked the hill at Hyde Park again this year, except this year they actually went up the steep part!  They are in this picture, can you find them?
When we were at Hyde Park I noticed that Sawyer couldn't get enough of the carnival games and a little light went on in my head.  Since Garrett is not the biggest fan of school and Sawyer will do anything to play a game, why not combine the two!  So we started "Mom's Carnival" at home.  The boys have to do a round of homework then they get a chance to play a game and earn points/tickets towards different prizes.  I let them do three rounds.  We have done well at this off and on durning the school year.
 This is them shooting the golf balls off the tees with the nerf gun.  We also do knocking the bottles off the table with a baseball and throwing ping pong balls into cups.
 They finally earned enough for a prize!
 So happy!
 Sawyer showed me how he could draw bras, such a proud moment.  He was laughing so hard......
 Haddie has finally settled down a bit and I'm starting to like her more and more.  Since it got cold out she has figured out that in order to stay in the warm house she needs to be good.
 I think that this happened before school started, it's just out of order.  Garrett tackled Sawyer playing football and when they went down Garrett smacked his lip on the back of Sawyer's head.  He managed to split his lip enough that he got four stitches to the inside of his lip!  It was nasty.  He was seriously so tough.  Didn't cry in the ER (so Kyle says, I was too grossed out so I stayed home with Sawyer) and never complained about it hurting after.
 Sawyer has become a great reader, I found this rare moment where they were just sitting and getting along.
 Sawyer keeps a reading log for school and he earns treasure box every 25 books.  He has been doing really well!
 Both boys got to play flag football this year.  They were even on the same team, the Broncos.  They were both way into it this year.  Kyle and another dad were the coaches and they did a great job.

 Sawyer was a flag grabbing fool.
 He was pretty good at blocking too.  I wish I had a picture of Garrett scoring his touchdown.  He ran most of the field and then stopped because no one was around him.  He saw everyone running after him and took off again for the touchdown!  He actually got tackled right when he hit the end zone and he scored!
The team made it to the Super Bowl!  I had a craft show that day and I had the nicest lady in the world stay in my booth so I could run over to watch a bit.  I'm so glad I did!  They called all the Super Bowl teams out and announced each player one by one.  Garrett was the first kid called, I was so surprised he walked out by himself.
 Then they did the National Anthem, it was the cutest thing ever.  The boys' team ended up winning the Super Bowl and they were excited!

 We had beautiful weather this fall.  This was one of the last warm days that we had.  I snuck away with the boys to throw rocks in the river one last time.  This is out of order because I think it was the beginning of November here!!
 We tired to take a picture, just after this Haddie grabbed the camera and dropped it in the river.  I was yelling at her and the boys were laughing so hard.  Luckily the camera still works....
 We have really enoyed the chickens.  They are all laying eggs as of today!  We are getting about 3 eggs a day.
 Shoot here is an out of order garden picture, so proud of his zucchini.

 This is out of order too!  In August Kyle and his work partners got to go the Capital building for the announcement to not list Arctic Grayling.  Kyle and everyone have worked so hard for the last few years for that moment, they did such as awesome job.  This is Kyle with the Governor and the NRCS State Conservationist.  Funny side note on this picture; Kyle did not want to do this but I organized it so he was stuck.  Well when I went to take the picture I realized that our camera was actually puffing out smoke every time the flash went off!  I'm so happy no one noticed.  Probably not the best to have your camera smoking when you take a picture of the Governor!!!
 Sawyer has been losing teeth like crazy, this is right before Halloween.  We called it his hill billy tooth.  After he lost one top on the other one went all crooked, plus he still only has three front teeth.  He was looking pretty goofy.
 Just a cute picture of Garrett on a hike.
In October we took a trip to Iowa to visit Kyle's family.  We were a little late looking for plane tickets so we ended up driving.  It was actually a good ride and the boys could not have been better.  Booking a hotel with a water park was pretty good bribery for the long drive.  Nothing like running around after 13 hours in the truck. 
 The little kid slide was pretty fast, Garrett had a blast on it.  Sawyer was more into the bigger slides.
 He did it a bunch of times.  It's crazy that he knows how to swim and we don't have watch him constantly in the pool.  He just kept going and going.  Poor kids was even a little sick but after such a long drive there was no way I could tell him no swimming.  He ended up having an ear infection when we took him in the next day, I felt terrible!
 We packed a lot into our trip.  We got to see all the great grandparents.
 We got to go to the zoo in Omaha.  It's the best zoo.  It was fun to have the cousins to go with, except we were missing Baker home sick.


 I think the gorillas were my favorite.  I could sit there all day and watch them.
 We got to go for combine rides with Uncle Seth
 We went fishing with Grandpa T.  This place was amazing.  It was so pretty and such a beautiful day.

 More tractor rides.
 Sorry these are of order more zoo pics.
 Sawyer and cousin Sloan were great buds.  He said the other day he wants to go to Iowa so he can get hugs from Sloan.
 We made apple cider, it was so good.

 oops one more zoo pic.  We have been taking pictures with phones and the camera so it puts them all out of order when I upload them.  I'm too lazy on such a big post to move stuff around.....
Halloween was fun again this year.  This is about half the crew.  Garrett was a Ninja Turtle and Sawyer was a duck hunter.  
 Sawyer's class did a Halloween play.  He had a line to say but the kid in front of him said Sawyer's line.  He sat there a minute but he improvised and did great.  I was just glad he didn't cry, it made him look like he didn't know his line but I knew what was happening.
 They wanted to pose for their picture.
 This was my attempt at a pintrest project, they looked awful.  I made some others and they turned out ok.  I couldn't stop laughing at how not craft I am.
The kids came in from trick or treating and immediately dumped their candy bags out.  It was so fun to watch them sort candy, it was also very loud.  
 The boys have been having fun going duck hunting with dad.

I love this picture.  They were so happy with their duck.  
 This was my favorite part of Thanksgiving.  The boys were having a blast going through the Black Friday ads and picking out what I should go shopping for.
 Winter finally came in December.  We haven't had very much snow but there was enough to build a snowman.
This is a common scene in our house.  Lots of wrestling and rough housing.  I'm trying hard to let them be boys....

 We got the cross country skis out, boys did great!  They actually wanted to go back up the hill a second time, I was so tired.
 We found a great Xmas this year.  It was little but it had great branches.  It took a while to find one that everyone agreed on.
 Sawyer had a Christmas program at school.  I actually got both boys to wear jeans!  Its the second time this year that they haven't had athletic pants on, aka sweatpants.  They looked so handsome.  I tried to get a picture of them but it was touch.
 Goofy kids.
 It was first grande and second grade.  Sawyer is missing so many teeth the song where they repeated singing snow, snow, snow, snow, snow was a little touch :)
 There's actually one more gone now...
After the program we had a dinner with our friends.  It's so fun to have so many kids around the table.
 Garrett loved the Santa hat.  He wore it around the house and slept in it almost every night.  We would sneek in and take it off because he would sweat so bad in it.
 We made sugar cookies again this year.  They may have been my best yet, they were so good!
 Haddie is trying her best to get to the chickens.  Sawyer went out to get the eggs and Haddie plowed him over to get in the fence where the chickens were.  I guess Sawyer grabbed her collar and held on as she drug him through the mud chasing chickens.  He had a hole in his pants and was screaming by the time I figured out what was happening.  It was funny at the time but the next day she did the same thing to me, except I let go before I hit the ground.
 This was Sawyer's letter to Santa, I think I overdid it making dishtowels this Christmas!
 We went to my parents for Christmas this year.  It was one of the most magical Christmases I can remember.  We went to bed without any snow and woke up to a winter wonderland!  I didn't get any Christmas pictures except for playing out in the snow.



 Kyle must have thought it was funny I was snow blowing...I was struggling because the snow was so deep.
And that brings us to now.  2014 was a great year.  We had lots of fun adventures and stayed super busy.  We are ready for the new year!

No comments: